After building World’s biggest statue – Statue of Unity, India is all set to build World’s biggest Cricket stadium.
The stadium is to be a dream project of Gujarat Cricket Association. Construction of the new stadium is underway at Motera, in Ahmedabad, Gujarat. It will have the capacity over 1 lakh seating.
India have 52 international cricket stadium. Stadium in Motera will be the 53rd stadium and the historic one which will turn the eyes of globe towards India.
Currently, the largest Cricket Stadium is in Autralia. The Melbourne Cricket Ground in Australia have the capacity of 100024 seats. Australia is the country which have maximum cricket stadiums in the list of largest cricket stadium in the world. After this stadium, India will have 5 stadiums in that list.
The cost of project is whopping Rs. 700 crores. It is being built across 63 acres of land. Seating capacity of this stadium will be more than one lakh people.
The stadium is being built by M/s. Populous. M/s. Populous also designed the Melbourne Cricket Ground. The name of the stadium will be Sardar Patel Gujarat Stadium. It is expected to be completed in next two years.
The best part of this stadium is, it will be ready before the 2023 ICC Cricket World Cup. India hosted the 2011 ICC Cricket World Cup and bidding for 2023 ICC Cricket World Cup.
Sardar Patel Gujarat Stadium in Motera will have 76 corporate boxes. There will be parking areas which can bear approximately 3000 cars and 10,000 two wheelers.
The tender of Rs. 700 crore project for the construction is with L&T (Larsen and Toubro). L&T also have tender of building the upcoming tallest statue in the World i.e. the statue of Maratha Warrior Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj.
According to The Hindu, the stadium will have 3 practice grounds, as well as the indoor cricket academy. It will also have club house with 55 rooms and an Olympic size swimming pool.
Rajyasabha MP(Member of Parliament) and Vice President of Gujarat Cricket Association announced the project on his Twitter handle. He also added pictures of his recent visit and inspecting the current progress of the stadium.
Mixed reactions from the people can be seen in social media. Some people demanding constructing schools and hospitals is more important than constructing World’s largest Cricket Stadium.
Let us go through the list of top 10 stadium in the World and their capacity.
1.Melbourne Cricket Ground is the largest Cricket stadium and 13th largest sports stadium in the world. It can accommodate 100024 people and also has the highest light tower in the World. It was opened in 1884.
2. The next biggest Cricket Stadium is the Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG). It has capacity of 84,000 people. It was built in the year 1999 and is also known as ANZ Cricket Stadium.
3. Jawaharlal Nehru International Stadium in Kochi, India is third in the list. It has capacity of 75,000 people.
4. Eden Gardens, Kolkata, India is the fourth largest cricket stadium and India second largest. It has already witnessed many historic events. It has capacity of 66,349. Some sources says it has capacity of 90,000 people and it was built in 1884.
5.Raipur International Cricket Stadium or Shaheed Veer Narayan Singh International Stadium, Chhattisgarh, India is surprisingly fifth in the list with capacity of 65,000 people. It is situated in New Raipur city of Chhattisgarh.
6. Gaddafi Stadium, Lahore, Pakistan is sixth in the list. It can accommodate 60,000 spectators. It was build in 1959. For the last 10 to 12 years not many international matches being played at this stadium due to terrorism.
7. Rajiv Gandhi International Cricket Stadium, Hyderabad, India. Another stadium of India in the list. It has capacity of 55,000 people and North end of the stadium is dedicated and named after the legendary cricketer from Hyderabad, V. V. S. Laxman.
8. Sardar Patel Stadium, Motera which is under construction to become world’s biggest stadium. It currently has capacity of 54,000 and it will have more than the double capacity when the construction is over. It was built in 1982.
9. Adelaide Oval, Australia. One of the beautiful stadiums in the world, it has capacity of 50,083. It was established in 1871.
10. Eden Park, Auckland, New Zealand is tenth in the list and has the capacity of 50,000 people. It was built in the 1900.
Watch: Iran fans didnt allowed ronaldo to sleep